Facts You Probably don’t Need
- The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621 over a three-day harvest festival. It included 50 Pilgrims and 90 Wampanoag Indians. Turkey wasn’t on the menu.
- Because they do not have teeth, turkeys have two stomachs to help them digest their food.
- The human population has officially passed 8 billion.
- Brad Pitt, while starring as Achilles in the movie Troy, ruptured his Achilles tendon on set.
- China has just one time zone (Beijing time) that covers the whole country. In the westernmost provinces, the sun may not rise until 10 a.m. or set until midnight. The border with Afghanistan is the greatest border time change in the world.
- Jack Ryan, the man who designed the original Barbie doll, also developed missiles for the Pentagon.
- About 70% of people in Iceland have a Costco membership, and there’s only one Costco in the country.
- Elmo is the only non-human to ever testify before the US Congress.
- Potato plants are poisonous. The part that we eat is the only edible part of the whole plant.
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.