Yields approximately 4-6 servings
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1-pound bag split peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1-2 packages of smoked turkey wings
- 2 quarts chicken stock, water, beef stock or combination
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery and carrots over medium-high heat. Add peas and smoked turkey wings and cover with stock by a couple inches. Bring to a simmer and cook about one hour until soup is thick and peas have almost disintegrated, but not quite. Season to taste. Remove smoked turkey wings and let cool. Pull meat from bone and shred, return to soup.
I used 1 quart homemade chicken stock and 1 quart homemade beef stock. Served with loaf of crusty bread! You can also use any smoked meat.
By Sharon Feldman
BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS