Chicken and Bulgur Salad with Avocado
By Sharon Feldman
- 1 cup bulgur (or coucous or rice)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 – 6 ounce boneless chicken breasts, with skin
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup fresh shredded basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium fennel bulb, (3/4 pound), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In heatproof bowl, cover the bulgur with the boiling water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
On a rimmed baking sheet, coat the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of the grape seed oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes, until golden, and temperature reaches 165 degrees. Discard the skin. Slice the chicken ¼ inch thick.
In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice with the basil, lemon juice, scallions and remaining ¼ cup of grape seed oil; season with vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, toss the bulgur, chicken, avocados, fennel and tomatoes with the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper. Mound the salad onto plates and serve.
If bulgur or couscous or rice or potatoes are too heavy for this dish, use a bed of lettuce. The vinaigrette works nicely over arugula or romaine.