Facts You Probably don’t Need
- Your fingernails grow faster on your dominant hand.
- The average American spends about 2.5 days a year looking for lost items.
- Cap’n Crunch’s full name is Captain Horatio Magellan Crunch.
- The wood frog can hold its urine for up to eight months.
- In 2007, a dead bowhead whale was found with a harpoon embedded in its blubber that dated back to the 1800s.
- On April 18, 1930, the BBC announced that there was no news on that day and played piano music on its air instead.
- The bar tab of a 1787 farewell party for George Washington is still intact. According to the bill, the Founding Fathers drank 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, seven bottles of whiskey, 22 bottles of porter, eight bottles of hard cider, 12 bottles of beer, and seven bowls of alcoholic punch between the 55 attendees.
- Pineapples were seen as such a status symbol during the 18th century that people could rent them to put on display at parties.
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.