Facts You Probably don’t Need
- On average, we blink at a rate of 15-20 times per minute. That is equal to nearly 10,000,000 blinks a year.
- Nearly one-fourth of bones in the human body are in the feet.
- We are unable to breathe and swallow at the same time.
- Your right kidney is positioned lower than your left kidney due to the presence of the liver.
- The world record for the longest accurate shot in archery is held by Matt Stutzman, who has no arms.
- Lettuce is a member of the sunflower family.
- Children’s author Roald Dahl was an Air Force pilot and spy during World War II.
- Starfish don’t have blood. Instead, they get their nutrients around their body using seawater in their vascular system.
- If you put super-glue on cotton, it will catch fire.
- The reason the name of so many south and central Asian countries end in “stan” is because the word comes from the Persian root word meaning “land of” or “homeland.”
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.