By Daniel Mancini
I use a blend of white and dark meat. I find that adding a little dark meat brings added moisture and flavor.
•1.5-lbs ground white meat
•1/2-lb ground dark meat chicken
•1/2-cup onion minced
•4-garlic cloves minced very
•1/2-cup plain breadcrumbs
•1/2-cup fresh basil minced
•1-cup grated Parmesan cheese
•3-28 oz cans whole plum toma
toes crushed with your hands
1. Add all the meatball ingredients to a bowl. Mix together with your hands. Do not over work.
2. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
3. Drizzle olive oil on your hands, rub it around, then form golf ball size meatballs. This keeps the chicken from sticking to your hands and also coats them. Drizzle more oil on your hands as you make the meatballs.
4. Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and into the oven, bake for 15 minutes.
5. Add the crushed tomatoes to a large skillet and carefully place in the meatballs. If you don’t have a large skillet, use a large pot but be careful not to crush the meatballs.
6. Bring this to a boil, then lower to a low simmer and cover.
7. Turn the meatballs every 10 minutes for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to simmer for 15 minutes longer. Spoon the sauce on the meatballs along the way
8. Test to make sure the meatballs are done by cutting one. Simmer longer if needed.
Enjoy in a bowl with sauce and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, or the perfect sandwich and of course with your favorite pasta.
(Daniel Mancini is the co-founder of Mama Mancinis. Follow him on Instagram at Danielmancini)