- Ancient Egyptians used moldy bread as treatment for infected wounds, possibly already utilizing the antibiotic effects of mold that was accidentally discovered by Alexander Fleming in 1928.
- When there is a disputed international border, Google Maps tailors its maps to the claims of each country where the internet browser is located.
- American steel magnate Charles M. Schwab died a pauper with over $300,000 in debt after blowing through a fortune that would have been worth $500-$800 million dollars today.
- There is an annual wife-carrying contest in Finland called Eukonkanto, where the reward is the wife’s weight in beer.
- There are no living descendants of Abraham Lincoln. His great-grandson died in 1985 with no children.
- A college student emailed Steve Jobs complaining that Apple’s Media Department was not replying to her emails for help with a school project. Jobs responded to her by saying, “Our goals do not include helping you get a good grade. Sorry” and “Please leave us alone.”
- Luna moths have no mouths. They live off the energy they stored as a caterpillar.
- Bill Nye owns several patents, including one for ballet shoes.
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.