By Sharon Feldman
- 1-1/2 beef flank steak
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 fresh poblano chile peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into ¾ inch strips
- 1 large red onion, cut into ½ inch wedges
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut lengthwise into ¾ inch strips
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, coarsely shopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Season steak with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Heat a heavy 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add poblano peppers, onion, sweet pepper and a large pinch of salt. Cook 5 minutes without stirring. Cook 5 minutes more, stirring once, or until vegetables are lightly charred and tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the steak. Cook 12-15 minutes or until medium rare (145 degrees F), turning once halfway through. Transfer steak to a cutting board. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
For Cilantro Chimichurri: In a small bowl combine cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oregano, garlic and a pinch of salt. Stir in 2 teaspoons olive oil. Slice steak; serve with pepper-onion mixture and chimichurri.