By Jennifer Kelleher
Hello, June! Hello, Summer!! As we step into the month of June, we prepare to journey into a whole new season. Transitions can be hard if you are set in your ways. However, our bodies are organic and want to flow with the river of nature. A big secret in finding optimal physical, emotional, and mental health is the simple practice of linking your way of life to the natural cycles of our planet.
What if you let your natural environment guide you in choosing things like what foods to eat and when, which activities to engage in, and how to care for and balance yourself? While this takes some trust, it can be a fun and creative way to stay well all year long. Below are some general tips to help keep you balanced as we move into the summer season. I invite you to post this list on your refrigerator, play with the advice, and notice how you feel!
1. Avoid cranking up the A/C. Our bodies are designed to experience heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Frequent changes of extreme temperatures confuse our ancient biological programs, causing us to crave foods inappropriate for the season.
2. Be careful of pushing your heart into overdrive. With every one degree rise in body temperature, the heart increases ten beats per minute. Yoga and Pilates are great practices to help you stay balanced during this time of year. Find a class at oceanblissyoga.net.
3. Pause regularly to avoid making impulse decisions. A month of courage, enthusiasm, passion, and joy, June sparks excitement and adventure! Call on daily meditation and breath awareness to keep you grounded, centered, and aligned throughout this playful season.
4. Prioritize morning and evening routines. What do you do in the evenings to ease into rest? What do you do in the mornings to gear up for your day? Starting and ending your days intentionally will help you to remain well-rested and avoid overexertion.
5. Eat your biggest meals in the early mornings and late evenings. Eat light and easy-to-digest foods in the heat of the day when digestion is at its lowest.
6. Say YES to fruit. The ideal diet in June is easy, cool, and light. Fruit has simple sugars, along with lots of vitamins and minerals to keep you bright and quenched all summer long.
7. Choose sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes. Taste helps you identify the foods that are appropriate for the season. Cool salads with bitter greens (arugula, dandelion, kale) and simple smoothies are great go-to’s during this time of year. Cabbage, fennel, hibiscus, and pomegranate are beautiful examples of astringent foods, and cucumber provides you with hydration and bitterness that are perfect for balancing the body in June.
8. To optimize your nutrition… Replenish electrolytes by adding a pinch of sea salt to your water. Enjoy beverages such as coconut water, cranberry juice, and rosewater to maintain your vibrance. Pick proteins that are easy-to-digest, like sweet peas, white flaky fish, and quinoa. Avoid too many fats and carbohydrates, and keep your ingredients simple and appropriate, as digestion is at its slowest during this time of year.
9. Exfoliate your skin & rinse off before bed. As the humidity increases, use exfoliating gloves and unscented organic liquid soap to keep your skin clean and refreshed all season long.
10. Embrace play!!! Enjoy the naturally playful and carefree energy of June. Take the above steps to stay conscious, balanced, and aligned, while appreciating this month’s fun and joyful energy!
Ocean Bliss Yoga Studio is offering a variety of workshops this month to bring balance. Check out oceanblissyoga.net or call Jen (917-318-1168) to learn about Astro Club, Restorative Yoga, Summer Solstice Sound Ceremony, Foam Rolling With Essential Oils, and more!!