- The thing you stand behind to make a speech is not a podium. You stand on a podium. What you stand behind is called a lectern.
- A baby platypus is called a puggle.
- A typical microwave oven consumes more electricity powering its digital clock than it does heating food.
- In a room with 23 people, there is a 50% chance that two people share a birthday. It’s called the birthday problem.
- Uranus was originally named George.
- The western lowland gorilla’s scientific name is gorilla gorilla gorilla.
- Whale oil was used in automatic transmission fluid until 1973.
- The caffeine in the coffee plant, like capsaicin in chili peppers, is meant to be a toxic substance to deter herbivores.
- Japan’s occupation of Hong Kong in WWII from 1941 to 1945 caused the population to drop from 1.6 million to about 600,000.
Facts by Sean McVeigh, factologist.